February 11 LED Display Matrix Meetup Update
This week we were able to knock out 21 more driver boards. Thank you to Trae, Jarrett, David and Kurt, they knocked out 80% of the boards we needed for the project! JC, Rick, Baird, David and I worked on wire stripping and crimping Molex pins.
I think we finished seven total column sets of wires, only 20 left to go…hopefully it will go faster next time, I went ahead and ordered my own Molex pin crimping tool to speed things up. I think a few of the other guys are going to get one also.
BTW, I also ordered some more heat shrink tape for binding wire sets, some non-magnetic tweezers for holding SMDs in place and a head-mounted magnifier. As I get older, I find it’s much more difficult to see what I’m doing on small circuit projects like this.
LED Display Matrix Power Supply?
Chris worked on the power supply. We’re using the 5 volt lines off an old computer power supply. It looks like it works just fine, but we still have to test it on the full load of 29 driver boards chained over 22 feet.
This meeting was more subdued, but really fun…the repetitive work allowed everyone to chat and laugh about various topics. It’s times like these that you really get to bond with other makers. The bonus is you make great new friends…this is one of the advantages that not a lot of people remember to mention when describing the intangible opportunities that makerspaces provide.
While working we found that we need to make an effort to improve our main workspace lighting. I think it would be cool to make a whimsical-looking octopus in the center of the table with high-powered LEDs on the tentacle tips that people can pull and twist to position for their needs.
Almost Finished, Last Chance to Help!
Come out to the meetup and help us finish this project. Next Tuesday we will be on the home stretch…pretty much all we have left to do is complete 20 more wire sets, the frames, and testing. So this is your chance to be part of a very cool project.